Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Overcome

One of the hardest things to do in life is to overcome yourself. You spend your life living with your fears, thoughts and regrets. We, as people, can impede our progress by our thoughts. We are the ones that are holding ourselves back from achieving something truly special, whatever that may be.

I have personally spent years trying to get over my own personal hiccups. What I have realized, over my few short years, is that factoring your own personal issues will get to the root cause on why your life has not been fulfilling for you. Here is what I have discovered in my own journey in making my life a fulfilling and meaningful one. I have made a decision to succeed and these are the obstacles that I had to overcome.

Complacency:
This is the number one reason why we decide to give up on the pursuit of making our lives great and we settle for a steady paying job which gives us a paycheck every two weeks instead of taking the risks that make life worth living.

We are all stuck in a society that just wants you to forget to work hard and keep trying in life. They want to blur your vision with the superstars of the hour or what is going on in Brittany Spears' life. They want you to waste your life away stuck in front of that TV of yours so you can go out and buy the next product that they plug during the commercial breaks.

According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.

Many people will say, "Well.... I've had a hard days work and I think I deserve it" but when you wake up and see what it is doing to you you will understand that it is turning you into a slave.

Complacency takes time. You start watching your TV to relax at night, you take care of your work, your family and your favorite hobby and you stop. You allow yourself to fall into the trap where most people are stuck today.

Fear:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "
Thomas A. Edison

People use fear to keep themselves from succeeding in life just as easily as you become complacent. Life lessons have taught you that failing is unacceptable, that if you fail you are loser, that you don't know what you are doing, that you will never achieve. This garbage is crammed down your throat since grade school and is another huge component on why you are running stagnant in life.

I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed.
Michael Jordan

You will fail in life! ....So what though? You will learn and improve. You will take those lessons and the next time you try it, you will be more likely to succeed.

Depression:
When you are depressed life can be hard. You fall into this never ending loop of being unable to control your life. You don't do anything because you are depressed and you make yourself even more depressed by not doing anything. I will devote much more time to this particular subject later on how your happiness is key to your success. The advice that I will give you now is to get out and get active. Friendship is crucial to overcome this obstacle. Get yourself into a group, maybe a volleyball group that you meet once a week or a hobby club for your interests. But get yourself out of your house and start living for yourself.

Time:
I am way to busy to go back to college. I just can't take the time to exercise three times a week. I can't start my company because I work to much with my paying job.

Does any of that sound familiar? When you don't make time for something you are allowing your life to control "you" and not you controlling your own life like it should be. Need I say more? Life is going to throw this at you for your entire life. You need to learn where to make the sacrifices so you can make time to accomplish your goals.

Excuses:
As you look at all of these topics, depression aside, these are all excuses that need to be overcome. We will continue to find excuses for ourselves to keep us from living the life that we want and stuck in the mundane existence that we have created all on our own. Stop blaming all of these external factors for you not achieving your goals. It's all in your head!

I will get into how to overcome each and every one of these as we continue forward. I first what you to try and recognize what you are up against, in your head, and where you fit into these categories. I am also curious if I left anything out.

What is your excuse?

What do you need to overcome?

Let me know! Lets get this topic moving!

No comments: